How to Do Laundry 101
★ Five Easy Steps to Laundry Happiness ★
In the bustle of everyday living – it is easy to forget or overlook the basics for laundry day.
We all want white colored clothes in the laundry to stay white (not dyed pink from an unfortunate mixup with a red shirt). And, we want clothes with bright colors to stay bright and not fade. Finally, we want our clothes to come out of the laundry in the same shape as they went in (no shrinking).
The Five Steps of a Great Laundry Day
- Prepare Laundry by Sorting.
- Examine the Washer Settings and inspect the inside of the washer.
- Select the correct wash temperature and wash cycle.
- Start the Washer.
- Drying Clothes: Clean the lint filter; set the correct dryer temperature for your clothes.
Simple, right? Let’s look at some details.
It is very important to sort your laundry by clothes types! Sorting can be done before arriving at StarBrite Coin Laundry – or after you get here.
Sort the laundry into separate stacks.
b. Dark Colors
c. Towels (can be washed with any whites, darks and strong colors)
d. Delicates (or other specialty clothing types)
e. Strong Colors (especially red colors)
Laundry Sorting Tips
- To prevent fading – turn items inside out.
- For items with sequins or decorative designs, turn inside out.
- Check and empty pockets; unroll sleeves, pants and socks.
- Pre-treat for Stubborn Stains: Follow directions on the bottle.
- Read and follow the Laundry Care labels in your clothing.
Always inspect the inside of washing machines and dryers before putting clothes in.
It is possible that the individual before you washed something that left lint or other unwanted items.
Please Alert our Attendant immediately if cleaning a washer or dryer is needed.
|Cycle||Fabric Type||Purpose and Speed|
|Normal / Regular Cycle||Best for whites, sheets, towels, underwear, socks and heavily soiled items||Removes stains and dirt; cleans durable fabrics. Uses fast agitation in the wash cycle, and a fast spin cycle.|
|Delicate Cycle||Best for wool, silk, and any other, fragile garments that say “gentle wash” on the tag||Gently cleans delicate items. Uses slow agitation in wash cycle, and a slow rinse cycle.|
|Permanent Press Cycle||Best for jeans, many non-cotton items, synthetic fibers such as rayons, knits, polyesters and acetates||Cleans every-day clothes that wrinkle easily. Uses fast agitation in the wash cycle, and a slow spin cycle.|
Always check the water temperature setting before you get started. Using the correct wash water temperature can mean the difference between clean, bright clothes and not so great results.
|Water Temperature||Fabric Type||Purpose|
|Cold Setting||Dark colors, bright colors that may run or fade, delicate fabrics, lightly soiled fabrics, anything that might shrink||Cold water saves the most energy while also being the most gentle on clothing.|
|Warm Setting||Synthetic, permanent press fabrics, towels||Good cleaning power for preserving colors without much fading or risk of shrinking.|
|Hot Setting||Whites, cotton fabrics, socks, bed sheets, heavily soiled garments, baby clothes||Hot water removes the toughest stains and gives garments a deep clean.|
Before drying, check clothing care labels. Some fabric types cannot be tumble dried. Below, a quick guide to fabric care label drying symbols.
Pay attention to the laundry labels in your clothing.
Other Laundry Day Happiness Tips
• Clean the dryer lint tray before drying a load of clothes; this ensures the dryer will function as effectively as possible.
• Thin or delicate items should be dried on medium or low heat (important).
• When removing clothes from the dryer – always fold or hang clothes as soon as possible to prevent wrinkling.
• Washing Large Items: It is important that there is enough room in the washer for water and detergent to circulate well; may need to use large item washer.
• Drying Large Items: It is important that there is enough room in the dryer for items to circulate well; may need to use large dryer.
• Ask the attendant for help if uncertain about the appropriate size machines for your loads.
View StarBrite Coin Laundry ‘Laundry 101 Cheat Sheet’
For specific tips on use of our laundry machines – please see our pdf.
StarBrite Coin Laundry and Laundry Services
We have a completely remodeled laundry area. Clean, bright – with great pricing and service!
★ Open 7 Days, 6am – 11pm (Last Wash at 10pm)
★ Coin Laundry – Change Machine
★ Video Security
★ Self Service Laundry Machines – Regular and Large Capacity (20, 30, 40 and 60 pounds)
★ Full Laundry Service @ only $1 per lb! (12 Pound Minimum, Available Monday-Friday)
★ Complete Time Wash/Dry: 45 Minutes
★ Comforter Wash Service: $20 King Size, $15 Full/Queen Size, $10 Single/Twin Size
★ StarBrite Coin Laundry and Laundry Services: Laundry 101 Cheat Sheet
★Every Tuesday: Laundry Love, Sponsored by StarBrite Coin Laundry and Area Churches
★ Comforter and Blanket Wash, Dry and Fold Special ★
Free Sheet and Pillowcase Wash with Comforter or Blanket Wash
2 Sheets and 2 Pillowcases – Same Size as Comforter
Comforter and Blanket Wash Prices
Queen Size Comforter Wash =
2 Queen Size Sheets and 2 Queen Size Pillowcases Washed Free with Queen Size Comforter
Comforter and Blanket Wash, Dry and Fold
Monday – Friday, 8am – 5pm
StarBrite Coin Laundry and Laundry Services has comforter and blanket wash, dry and fold Monday-Friday, 8am – 5pm.
Monday – Friday:
Laundry in by 9am – Laundry ready for pick up at 5pm that same day.
Laundry Love Program – Love and Dignity Since 2003
Our Laundry Love program is each Tuesday 7pm – 8:30pm. The program is sponsored by FaithNet churches from Lewisville, Flower Mound and Highland Village.
StarBrite Coin Laundry and Laundry Services and FaithNet provide the payment for all washers, dryers, dryer sheets and detergent.
See Laundry Love Program for details; and how the program works.
StarBrite Coin Laundry and Laundry Services
788 S. Mill Street
Lewisville, Texas 75057
Coin Laundry Association